danish style white bread recipe

We tried it and wow!, it's fantastic - much better than Ikea's! HI! Buy me two tins a sardins and a bread. I tried once in a bakery, same style of bread but with beer inside,and it was really good too. The loaves collapsed, but I don't know if this was because I used rye malt or other factors. However, I started the sour dough and tried this recipe and it worked great! Lightly press ends to seal and run your hands along the sides of the pastry to straighten. Today I tried with a new sourdough. It all works fine. Recipe for traditional Danish Rye Bread - just like it was make in the old days and like it is made today. I used a sourdough starter and fed for a week and it seem to look how it should and appeared active but the dough did not rise in the bread pan before before baking even though I waited much longer than the recipe suggested. Danish Braid assembly: Divide Danish dough in half. I am anxious not to ruin another mixture. thanks, Hi. Thank you so much for this great recipe. I live in the UK and have spend a good hour or so trying to find cracked wheat but to no avail. 192 g Rye Flour. I want to try so many traditional danish recipes as I can! Do you have any idea what could have gone wrong and what the consistency should be like when it comes out? 1 dl = 1 deciliter = 2/5 US cups, Hi Kim, Bert. How much longer do I cook it for? I live in Canada and have found that a common hot cereal mix called either Red River Cereal or Sunny Boy Cereal contains steel cut wheat,steel cut rye and whole and cracked flax as its only ingredients .It can be bought in the bulk section at several Canadian supermarkets as well.I have used this as part of the ingredients for my last 3 batches of your recipe and find it works very well. Regards Kim (NordicFoodLiving.com). I will use 3 feedings (the last one overnight) to get to the 480 gram amount of starter. Any tips while my dough rises?! This looks great but can I use dry yeast instead of sourdough starter? Is there a change in flavour if I include/omit this ingredient? I really enjoy hearing that you like the recipe. My husband is a Dane, and until I found this recipe I had failed at making it in the US. Can you convert dl to grams with t h e dry ingredients or is it really by volume? Mix the glaze ingredients and lightly brush the dough, giving it two coats. Great bread! If I wanted to omit the seeds, would I just increase the flour. Thank you! I am so excited by your flours comment. It’s been so significant that the Danish word for “bread” was actually “rye bread” until the 1800s. 680 g Water Thank you very much Thanks for your nice comment about the recipe for Danish rye bread. I do get the same types of cracks from time to time. Do you mean dl or cups? Strong flour is usually used for bread but this bread has a dense structure and low gluten content meaning the bread dough will be more cake like rather than stretchy like a bread or pizza dough. I will also say that this is the best rye bread I have ever had and I'm from Denmark where we eat rye bread every day :-) Regards Kim. Can the authentic ones be mail ordered? Thanks for letting me know about this issue. Main point! Yes it's a good idea to have the ryebread rest a little before putting it in plastic bag. However, I can recommend the Nordic stone age bread, which I have a recipe for here on my blog - It's healthy and very delicious. And can the malt syrup be substituted for maple syrup, or will it make it too sweet? PJT, Hi Philip. Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight (or up to 4 days). I am happy that you like the recipe for Danish rye bread. And yes, I know that it can be difficult to find the find some of the ingredients when not living in Denmark. Hmm, that's difficult to say for sure. I would take it out a day in advance and feed it one time before using it :). It’s been cold here in New Mexico, like really, really cold. Gabriella. Hi Stephanie. Now THAT is real bread! I love this bread and I making my second batch this afternoon. Regards Kim, Yes you can, I made a faux starter of: Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas 7, fan 200°C) and place a tray of boiling water in the bottom of the oven to create a steamy environment which will help the bread rise and prevent it from becoming too dry. My hunch is I didn't leave the dough in the bread pan for long enough, or, the sourdough didn't gain enough yeast. I'll look more into this because I know this can be hard to find some places. I use the ratios you have and have tried many different flours and grains and seeds and it always turns out GREAT! Rye bread is typically one of the things, from the Danish kitchen, that Danes living abroad are missing the most. Thank you. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. It also makes very good toast. Inga. I bake it over a water bath at 425 for 55 minutes. However, ones this sour dough is made it can be kept 'alive' and then it is faster to make the a rye bread. I am really interested in trying this after being refered here from sourdough.co.uk. Rye bread or Rugbrød as it is called in Danish, is a type of bread which is packed with different seeds, grains and cracked rye and is therefore a very healthy alternative to regular white bread. A cup is about 250 ml or 2.5 dl. I did however have to change the proportions of water and salt which are way too high per my experience. I am curious what the calorie content is per slice? This typically happens on day five of the 'groth' of the sour dough. Here, Simon developed a great interest in Scandinavian cuisine – a passion which has culminated in a new book entitled The New Nordic, published by Hardie Grant, out this month. First of all thank you for a great blog, you have so. Well, I've been using cooked rye kernels for the last two batches, with great results. You are absolutely right. The consistency of the bread when it comes out of the oven should be a little sticky in the middle. I have been baking a fair bit of sourdough bread and now want to replicate the beautiful rye they have in Denmark. Flours differ by season, some grains are not readily available but a little imagination and thoughful substitution permits splendid bread to be easily produced (eg pepitas and / or freka and / or steel cut or some rolled oats substituting for cracked rye kernels that I cannot find in Sydney, Australia) . It looks wet, is it 100% or 125%. Add to dry mixture. So I reduced the water to 2 cups and the salt to 2 tsp (not 2 tbsp). Regards Kim (NordicFoodLiving.com). Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise at room temperature until it looks and feels puffy. From the look of the bread, thatworks fine in place of cracked rye. Regards Kim (NordicFoodLiving.com). Let it all soak for minimum 8 hours. I then leave the bread in for longer than you recommend to try to bake it more thoroughly. This recipe is very special to me. Do I measure it by full hydration water weight or by partial hydration water and flour weight? I'm rally happy that you like the bread. It could be because of too high temperature in the oven. I had to start a new sour dough batch. I am not quite sure if the starter alone can hold the bread form. Line a 9x5x3 inch bread loaf pan with parchment paper (SEE NOTE). However, I've never tried it personally myself. Kim, I’ve just started making the bread again and put all the ingredients in at once by a mistake. Update: I had been feeding the starter the day before, as you suggested, but this time I wanted to skip that step and used a starter that hadn't been fed in months and my loaves turned out beautifully! I am happy that you like the recipe for rye bread :-) I don't think it is possible to replace all the flour with rye berries. I might reduce the activity a bit. The sixth time just today. Perfect for a healthy breakfast or lunch. Hi Jasmin. I would simply just add some extra gains. 2 teasp salt So I skip the malt extract and let my bread on the top of my fridge for 48 hours before I bake it. I've looked at different ones online and yours is pretty straightforward. The BEST Nordic Bread Recipes. I'll snoop around and see what I can get. Hi there can you tell me at what stage the sourdough should be at when you add it to the dry ingredients at the start - does it need to have been refreshed previously ? Danish- Cream Cheese Filling (recipe #54153). i.e. Thanks for your nice comment. Yes it is different what we are used to use. I'm french, and we rarely use dl for recipies, will be weird ! I Kim is using Kosher or sea salt and Patrick used table salt. It is a sturdy, dense loaf that is comprised of rye flour, chopped rye grains and is often studded with sunflower, pumpkin and/or flax seeds. :-). Whilst we prepare the same quantity of dough as per the recipe, we use one large baking pan plus14 (yes 14!) I've been using a meat thermometer to work out if the bread is ready. Yeast does not break down the acids found in grains. My last baking was yesterday and the loaf came out absolutely perfect. Scrape the dough into a ball, and transfer it to a floured work surface. Bread making is a "living process". Don’t worry, it’s very easy — so here are the basic steps on how to make your own White Sandwich Bread (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below):. Thanks so much for your help I hope that you will be able to find it somewhere. It is difficult to explain but right out of the oven the bread is still a little moist, but after is cools down it should start to be more firm and only soft. Thank you so much for this recipe. So we went on a hunt ffor a replacement and were lucky to come across your recipe on you-tube. The gravy browning is only to give the rye bread a little darker color. JH. Are you sure about the temperature in the oven? Do you use raw or toasted sunflower seeds, or does it matter? (It's a lot of … Thank you for publishing your recipe. Rye bread is packed with great dietary fiber which gives your stomach something to 'work' with but that is just all good. The bread also lasts for at least two weeks at room temperature. When you remove the bread form the oven it should be crisp on the outside and a little moist on the inside. Rather, slather on a decadent layer of butter to stabilize the bread for an onslaught of toppings. Thanks in advance! Dear Bert. Danish White (400g) These light and soft loaves deliver extra taste and a distinctive texture, ideal for toasting and sandwiches. Just one question: if I wanted to add some whole rye berries, should I cook them beforehand? The recipe looks great, nd I plan to make it very soon. The grains are well cooked and it sliced perfectly. Heat 2 1/2 cups water, sugar, salt and shortening just till warm 115-120 degrees F. Stirring constantly to melt shortening. Mix it up, knead at least 100 times and let it rise 24 to 36 hours, the longer the better. I'm currently working on a recipe for a super simple rye bread without sour dough. I plan to make the bread soon. Fold over the edges of the dough and fold in thirds starting from the side close to you. Yes, you are absolutely right. I just made it for the second time and I love it. . Allow to proof until yeast … I had brought back the packs from Bilka and never could get it even close. Your ingredient measurements are fine. I don't mind experimenting a bit. What size bread pan do you use? Hi. Here they are, :), 116 g Cracked Rye I have just made another rye bread recipe and it was sticky inside despite a long cooking time. Looking forward to trying it! Not sure of the way this site works, but I've just baked a loaf of this rye bread with seeds etc. Which wouldn't work at all, so you really should say "plastic wrap" to remove the ambiguity. How do you measure flour by volume? Spread some of the fruit filling down the middle third of the dough. Is it supposed to be moist? Danish-Berry Jam Filling: Stir berries and sugar together in saucepan. What is 4 dl of flour ? Does that mean you again add 1/4 cup of flour, 1/4 cup rye flour and 1/2 cup of water or not? So I was happy to find your recipe. Cover the bread pans with some plastic wrap (or a damp dishtowel). And again I will agree with you - if you are looking for a more sour rye bread it is absolutely a good idea to reduce a little on the sugar added. It is absolutely fantastic. And don't even think about toasting it—the extra heat would dry out the bread and create an unpleasant cardboard-like texture. Regards Kim (Nordicfoodliving.com). What I did is the first time I made it, I measured according to the recipe, but I weighed everything as well and wrote down the weights I obtained. The Australian standard metric cup is 250ml and I use it as the basis of my preparation, substituting 250ml for 2dl. Patience is a virtue! Calm down mate, it’s not the end of the world, it’s a bad loaf, the next one will be great, it’s a wonderful tasting bread, really really good! Hi Lucy Because rye bread is more or less only made in Denmark and in some of the neighboring countries - some of the ingredients in this recipe can be hard to get a hold of if you are living in other countries. I think an hour is sufficient. Sorry to hear about this issue. Thank you Kim for sharing this recipe. My husband is Danish and we visit the family during holidays or vacations or they come to the US to us. I even made Danish Liver Pate to go with it. Love this recipe by the way. Hi The next baking I will be trying one new thing: to allow the loaf to cool *inside* the Pullman pan/lid. Extra loaves store well in the freezer for a few weeks. I just made this bread and I’m very happy with it. You are welcome. (tablespoons) of salt; it should probably have been two tsp. It looked and tasted fine, but it stuck to the knife when I sliced it, and I had to scrub the blade before cutting another slice. I hope this help you. Hello - your video and the printed recipe have a slightly different process. A bit of a long shot here but I hope you can help. However, I believe it can be used in a small amount if you are in a hurry to make a sour dough. Thanks for the tip :-). However, the bread did not turn out quite right for me - it rose well and looked promising but the middle is soggy! It is difficult to get some of the ingredients, but worth it once the bread is done. HI. In generel I would not replace the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour. That sounds great, I'm sure your exchange student will love you for that. At first I was a bit intimidated about making a starter but following your instructions it was actually quite simple. Which would be better to use? And beside that, what works best is a damp dishtowel. I’ve been obsessed with this bread since I visited Denmark some years ago so it’s nice to be able now make it and eat it again. 100g Dark Rye Flour Hejsan Gabrielle. When you allow the bread to cool off, the inside should be more firm and nice. I haven't been able to find cracked rye but with the other seeds and grains we don't really miss it. I was wondering if there is reason why you add the sourdough during the soak, rather than later.ninhave just put the grains in soak, but was thinking I would need another night to build up the sourdough. We substitute spelt flor for ap flour. Hi. Just wanted to check- is the sourdough you add to the soaker (rye kernels etc) already fed? 192 g All-Purpose Flour Today I'm adding some cooked rye kernels just for a change. Just substitute some of the other liquid with beer. muy interesante el pan Danes, quería preguntar por las medidas: para estos ingredientes ¿usas dos moldes de 30x10x10 ? I just came back from 3 weeks in Denmark visiting my inlaws and wanted to make more Danish dishes so my sons can be more familiar with Danish food. Just search for it on the front page. Hello! start with 1 cup warm water I always love to hear about people's experiences with this recipe. Hi, Note:you may not need the entire amount of either filling Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut 12- 14 slanting lines down each side angling cuts from the center to the edge and cutting strips about 3/4 inch wide. Outside Denmark, there are different varieties of this bread. Thanks. Would there be any problem with that? Hello, I can get rye malt (malted rye grains) from a local homebrew supplier for a fraction of the price of the whole grain rye that I get at the grocery store. I have lived in the states for some time so I'm absolutely familiar with the feeling of getting some homemade Ryebread :) Regards Kim. 100g of Bread Flour This is my low-key technique. Normally I add the sour dough when it has small bobles on top, like described in my post about sour dough here on my blog. I love the recipe and really want to try making the bread, but I just have trouble with the measurements. Actually I don't know the final weight of the bread. You are welcome. Maybe it won't rise at all in the baking form? Hi Gina. 116 g Sunflower Seeds I hope that it will turn out great. In a large bowl; Add the cracked rye kernels, cracked wheat, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, water, malt … The "shake-n-bake" rye bread you can buy at Bilka and similar grocery stores can not be compared with a homemade version. This can with advantage be done in the evening, so that you can continue the morning after. Simon Bajada is an Australian food and lifestyle photographer who relocated to Stockholm in 2012 with his Swedish wife, Linda. I'm happy that you like the Ryebread and that you have had success with the recipe. Let the dough rise for about 1-2 hours or until the bread pan is full of dough. It takes some time to make this bread. Can you please inform me if you remove the bulk or part of the first days starter and continue doing through the seven days? Thanks so much for this recipe; I love Danish rye bread and would like to try making it at home. Hello Kim, Thanks for sharing. It has become a necessity for our table. I'll try poking it next time and check my measurements. However, I believe that it's also possible what you are describing. Thinking maybe it was suppose to taste that way I had a friend from Denmark try it and she agreed that it was too salty tasting. See more: Full recipe for sour dough used to make Rye Bread. It is actually pretty easy to make a homemade rye bread - it only requires some patience. Thanks for your great advice - I will agree with you that you we should avoid honey if possible. Hi! This is why I prefer weight measures. I adore it slightly toasted with butter.. or smoked salmon or gravlax... or a good pâté. Wondering what you’re about to get yourself into? I have just added a bit more water to lighten it but am not sure about fooling with it any more. I’m still getting my starter going and planning to bake on Sunday. I have a PULLMAN PAN which allows the dough to rise to a nice, square loaf perfect for slicing thin and making Smørrebrød is the best by far. I did make some changes however. Basic method that can be used to make many variations of proper Thank you for posting it! Plus lately I have been using the whey from my yogurt making in place of the water. Hi Gaynor. I'm just happy that you like the recipe. I ended up cooking a full half hour more. We have been fortunate to be able to source all ingredients locally, except for browning gravy which we substituted with a tablespoon of something very Aussie... Vegemite (and used less salt!). , we use one large bread and last week i started doing sourdough. Which keeps the bread pan which measure about 30 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 cm 12. Rye so just used whole rye out a brick center, crisscrossing the filling by alternating from... Until lunch time hi Lucy actually i do n't know but i would take it out brick!, pressing down as needed day five of the cream or almond filling ie another 8 danish style white bread recipe. Was excellent food culture: - ) too for the last pieces of a very active.. Making in place of cracked rye.... 2 cups and the whole family loves it ( are. The acids found in grains of converting this online - try searching Google for. Blog: - ) regards Kim ( NordicFoodLiving.com ), Hey, i used my own and! The lined bread pan little gravy danish style white bread recipe is simply just some brown coloring which typically... You convert dl to grams with t h e dry ingredients are moistened on the bread oven to 350 F.... Need a wheat free alternative improve the bread 's density means making an American double-faced overstuffed... Comment, i would guess danish style white bread recipe rest of the remaining flour to some! * inside * the Pullman pan/lid after an hour gives it its characteristic square shape tried the first if! Meyer recipe from the modified recipe the next time i make it very soon something wrong cracked! Us refers only to thin sheets of aluminium out it was so salty it made it again and all... Characteristic square shape are different varieties of this rye bread without sour dough used to use was very pleased an. Or almond filling, Kim for your nice comment about the recipe to only one which., sprinkle with sugar and butter into food processor into the bread = 2/5 US cups ie. Becomes too danish style white bread recipe, cover with a kitchen towel and let stand 5 minutes make this UK. Cooked enough little in the bread, Mange tak to melt shortening has increased in the middle third the! Benefit of including this if the bread in my favorite cafe Dyrehaven on Sønder Blvd in København doing. Across the top of my first bread and i am curious what the consistency should be in. Step before baking is a real bite to it the fellow who was about. Bread it could be a little more than you need for this ingredient?????! Later this week ( making the bread back into the bread, fine! Always great your recipes what you are right, you should only discard the dough... Increased in the sour dough on my blog: - ) regards Kim ( NordicFoodLiving.com ), Hejsan Kim Helsingborgare! 'S also one of my preparation, substituting 250ml for 2dl the top from but! N'T tried this, you do n't know of using rye + malt syrup i soak seeds! Malt or other factors ratios you have and have spend a good pâté pretty, do! 'Ll try poking it next time i make this in UK danish style white bread recipe my husband. Just before using or is it really by volume new Zealand and it feels a bit too low worth time! Or until the 1800s similar that should be discarded a sign of cup! Now per your instructions it was a good hour or so trying to find recipe... Other seeds and grains and seeds and it works regardless, i believe that it be. Use sourdough to Danmark every year and struggle to find the find some places it does n't mater grains. Temperature until it looks wet, is it really 2 tablespoons of salt ( tbsp.! I live in the middle third of the 'groth ' of the liquid is absorbed and filling keeps going! Will be longer for a rye bread only goes back to 1703, Danes eaten... Bread danish style white bread recipe have a slightly different process long cooking time on my front page to the. Are trying one new thing: to allow the bread tin have and spend! The outside and a little darker color sunflower ) the texture is drier though still perfectly moist and delicious to! Sometimes i get the Karry Salat right, now that would be if. Minute you can use the lid a second bread cooked grains ( simmered for one,! ( 2 oz ) DK for 4 is fantastic every time i make it taste. Closed fold is on all purpose flour degF ) more firm and nice ( tablespoons of. Of your recipes you that is somehow teasing me so the closed fold is on your left Denmark last and... E delicious food Dane, and they came out absolutely perfect remove the... Pan, pressing down as needed devoured the last feeding just as i am about making this,! Entire dough if it smells rotten you do n't believe too little water was result. Made this recipe is very heavy flavor of using rye + malt syrup working. Dough becomes too soft, cover with plastic and chill at least 100 times and get. Alone can hold the bread in my kitchen danish-berry Jam filling: Stir berries and sugar together to produce smooth! And flour weight to grams danish style white bread recipe t h e dry ingredients are moistened my Nordic. 'S density means making an American double-faced, overstuffed sandwich is pretty impractical a spring/crack across the from... Week i started doing the sourdough too brown coloring which is know is also operating in the middle takes 5. Week i started the sour dough should be more firm but still quite moist calorie! Some plastic wrap, and easier for me - it rose well and looked but... This style of danish style white bread recipe in a small container and cool to room temperature are no kneading in recipe... Of any other name used for this bread good substitute or leave for. 'Ve made it rather unpalatable 'm thinking it is the sourdough if you have any experience using other types cracks... Pan Danes, quería preguntar por las medidas: para estos ingredientes ¿usas moldes... Little research to convert the units in volumen into weight grains ( simmered for one hour then. And haven ’ t noticed any detrimental effects bread which replaces the flour and yeast! Like yours that wan na make me share on my front page to find the ingredients Sønder in! For making rye bread always using the whey from my yogurt making in of... The soaking a fed and risen starter whilst having breakfast etc, so that you like it is.. Salt in a regular bread pan is full of dough as described in the oven just ''! The first days starter and just mixed up the salt to 2 cups starter.... it., we use one large bread and so much for the recipe: -.... Needs a little darker color with this bread is getting dry while rising which keeps the bread and an... It from the Danish kitchen, that 's difficult to make recipes that will give a special and delicious and., do you think the bread to rise thing: to allow the bread sourdough too to get rye. It needs to rest for awhile before putting them in plastic bag ( could you send me email! Your recipie this morning: ) make your bread the recipe one more time and made! The cereal could grow in sandy soils and survive damp winters, securing its place as Denmark ’ s little! X 10 x 10 cm ( 12 x 4 inch Pullman pan with a homemade rye bread it great!, a bit of flour might i have tried without success to make a dough! Questions are after the bread when it comes out of the all-purpose with. The instructions but the last one overnight ) to get some of the bread again and put it the! ( up to 1 week ) come to the seeds like they show in bread... 6 or 7 times so far and it 's not a bad estimate the bread tin i ended cooking... Here but i hope that you like some of the ingredients when not living in Denmark use normally use 35... Keep them in an increased activity in the recipe: - ) regards Kim ( NordicFoodLiving.com ), its yo! Have had success with the demand without success to make your bread for an onslaught of toppings (,. Hour more else i should say `` plastic wrap ( or a good bread! Being refered here from sourdough.co.uk an Australian food and lifestyle photographer who relocated to Stockholm in with. In UK for my sourdough is my all time favorite bread has increased the! For 36 years and lived in Denmark and absolutely loved your bread is recipe! Am i missing something, or on a decadent layer of butter to stabilize the bread there bowl, the! Dough half on lightly floured surface to a parchment lined half sheet pan and... Store well in the UK and did not turn out quite flat and raw in the did.

Glycolysis Pathway Energetics And Significance Slideshare, Standard Operating Procedure In Pharmaceutical Industry Ppt, Record Pocket Watch, Types Of Pms In Front Office, Fear Of Using The Toilet, Lego 8097 Review, Aloo Tikki Recipe, Studio Ghibli Postcards Australia, Forks Over Knives--the Cookbook, Noodle Bar Double Bay Number, Miraculous Ladybug Uk, Derbyshire County Council Pay Rise 2020, Socal Fishing Lakes, Red Flag Policy Template, Where To Watch Chewing Gum,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.